SciShops Summer School 1 – 4 July 2019, Limassol, Cyprus
The Horizon 2020 SciShops project consortium is organising a four-day Summer School on Science Shops in July 2019 in Cyprus. The Summer School will provide a platform for skills development, knowledge exchange and networking within the field of Science Shops and community-based participatory research (CBPR). It is open to both external applicants and representatives of the ten new Science Shops being set up as part of the SciShops project.
Applications for the Summer School are closed!
- Use of reflective sessions in which participants can exchange experiences and address challenges facing different models of Science Shops, including university-based, NGOs and business-based.
- Practical skills development in:
- moderation of co-creation events with diverse stakeholders
- presentation techniques and “pitching” your initiative to different audiences
- use of social media and other communication channels
- Contributions from experts in topics including partnership building; citizen science; business planning; entrepreneurship; impact planning and assessment.
- Field visits to science-society initiatives to see research and community partnerships in action.
- Wider networking with civil society organisations and others active in science and society projects.
01.07.2019: General introduction (starts at 13:00)
- Welcome and introductions
- Coffee Break
- Science Shops – an overview of different models
- Welcome Dinner
02.07.2019: Effective communication and moderation
- Effective communication strategies for Science Shops & Social media tricks and tips
- Coffee Break
- Moderation techniques and tools for co-creation events involving diverse stakeholders
- Presentation skills and ‘market place’ exercise (Learn how to pitch your initiatives to different stakeholders.)
04.07.2019: Creating sustainable science shops
- Overcoming challenges – reflective group discussions to share experiences and identify solutions to challenges faced by newly established Science Shops. Participants will be asked prior to the summer school to submit challenges to be discussed.
- Coffee Break
- (Social) entrepreneurship – opportunities for Science Shops.
- Business planning and development for Science Shops
- Introduction to the business canvas model
- Reflections on new Science Shops’ business plans
- Impact planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Evaluation and feedback on summer school
Profile of desired Applicants
We particularly welcome applicants who are either in the process of setting up a new Science Shop or other community-based participatory research initiatives and already have some knowledge in this area, or are looking for professional development opportunities to further develop their existing initiatives. The Summer School will host 40 participants. All sessions will be held in English.
Venue, travel and accomodation
We have secured preferential rates at the Poseidonia Beach Hotel.
The reservation to Poseidonia Hotel should be done directly by the participants through the hotel website.
Successful applicants will receive the booking code with their acceptance email.
- Single rooms: 86 € (inland view) and 94 € (sea view),
- Double rooms: 94 € (inland view) and 110 € (sea view)
You can also book a room at the same rates from 29 June until 7 July.
Booking Deadline for special rates: 15th April 2019
A rich buffet lunch will be served every day at the Poseidonia hotel restaurant. This will be covered for all summer school participants.
Evening meals are not included in the registration, except for the welcome dinner for all summer school participants.